Change a Life
Jun 21, 2013 by fosteringhope
Every year in the U.S. approximately 25,000 children age out of the foster care system. These youth enter into life with no network of family support.
Think about that.
25,000 youth with no family to:
- Provide them with guidance for the major life decisions they about to make
- Provide them with a financial boost to help them get started on their own
- Provide a place to call home for the holidays
- Send them a card on their birthday
- Encourage them to persevere when college, or perhaps their first job, gets really hard
On and on we could go, but I think you get the point. It’s no wonder that foster youth who age out of the system without achieving permanency have a much worse statistical prognosis than their foster peers who are adopted-even worse than those who are adopted as older teens.
So, are you longing to make a significant difference in someone’s life? Pray about the possibility of adopting a child out of foster care.
Adoption from foster care is not for everyone. It is difficult. It must be done with eyes wide open. But, such an act can literally transform the life of a child who otherwise has little hope for a successful future. And for many, that very possibility makes the unique challenges of such an endeavor well worth it.